- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 3 c. dry pinto beans, rinsed
- 1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 T. minced garlic
- 5 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 9 c. water
- Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker.
- Pour in the water and stir to combine.
- Cook on High for 8 hours, adding more water as needed. (if the water keeps evaporating then the temp. is too high).
- Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid.
- Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.
If desired, top with shredded cheese and serve with tortilla chips.