- 30 oz Red Beans, canned
- 3/4 c. Rice
- 1 Medium Onion, diced
- 1 Celery stalk, finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp. Pepper
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 6 c. Vegetable Broth
- 3 Green Onions, chopped
- 1 Medium Tomato, diced
This recipe was shared by my aunt years ago (she’s always been a thrifty one) and even though this is the perfect low-budget meal, it is still delicious. Check out Aunt Judy’s Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice Soup!
- Rinse and drain beans. Set aside.
- Place onions, celery and seasoning in a 5-Quart slow cooker.
- Mash half of the beans and pour into slow cooker.
- Pour remaining (un-mashed) beans in slow cooker.
- Add rice and then pour broth over ingredients.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 5-6 hours, or until the rice is tender.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with green onions and chopped tomato.
Optional: Add 6 oz. kielbasa sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces, to this soup during step 5.