- 8 oz. portobello mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped very fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T. olive oil
- 4 c. reduced-fat beef broth
- 1/4 c. red wine
- 1/4 c. barley
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 12 oz can of evaporated skim milk
My husband and I LOVE Mushroom Soup, and this recipe for Slow Cooker Low Fat Creamy Portobello Mushroom Soup is one of our favorites. This recipe is especially good because it’s creamy yet so much healthier than your typical cream-based soups without sacrificing any flavor. We’ll have this as a side dish or main course to warm us up on a crisp fall day. I hope you enjoy this as much as my family does!
- Saute the portobello mushrooms, onions and garlic in the olive oil in a medium skillet for a few minutes, just until soft.
- Transfer the cooked veggies into your slow cooker and add the broth, wine, barley and seasonings.
- Cover & Crock on Low for 6-8 hours or High for 3-4 hours.
- Stir in the milk and allow the soup to cook another 10-20 minutes, just until heated through.
OPTIONAL: Top with fresh ground pepper!