- 1 medium zucchini or summer squash, halved lengthwise, with seeds removed
- 1 c. tomato sauce
- 1 T. red wine vinegar
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1/4 c. uncooked brown rice
- 1 T. dried parsley
- 1 T. dried basil
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 2 T. pine nuts, toasted
- Fresh parsley (optional)
- Fresh basil (optional)
- Mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
When all the beautiful squash are fresh, I love to make Slow Cooker Stuffed Zucchini! Enjoy!
- This recipe is great especially when you have fresh zucchini! Enjoy and Happy Crocking!
- To toast pine nuts, place them in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally until golden or about 5 minutes.
- Place the zucchini halves in the bottom of an oval slow cooker.
- In a bowl or measuring cup, combine the tomato sauce and vinegar.
- In another bowl, combine the onions, garlic, rice, parsley, basil, pepper, along with 2 tablespoons of the tomato sauce-vinegar mixture.
- Fill the zucchini halves with the rice mixture.
- Top with the remaining tomato sauce-vinegar mixture.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 4-6 hours or until the rice is tender.
Garnish with the pine nuts, fresh herbs, and cheese.
Note: This recipe is also good for non-vegetarians by adding ground pork, ground turkey, or ground beef!
Optional: Great to double for a larger group!
Nutritional Facts used for 4 servings!