- 2 c. green beans
- 2 c. limas, cooked
- 2 c. kidney beans
- 2 c. baked beans
- 6 slices bacon, browned
- 1 1/2 c. onion, diced
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 c. vinegar
- 1/2 c. ketchup
See below as Slow Cooker Calico Baked Beans has so many variations, not to mention it is just plain good!
- If using bags of beans be sure to wash, and soak beans overnight. Here are a just few of the beans you might want to consider: Great Northern, Black bean, Kidney, Pinto, Chickpeas, and Cannellini beans.
- Combine beans as listed (or beans of your choice) in slow cooker.
- Brown bacon in skillet and crumble. Add to beans. Stir in onions.
- Mix together brown sugar, salt mustard, garlic, vinegar, and ketchup. Pour over beans. Mix well.
- Cover. Cook on High 4 hours, on Low 6 hours.
Variations: Add a chopped green, red or yellow pepper to the mixture in Step #2. Also can lightly saute onion and/or green pepper in 1 tsp. bacon drippings for added flavor. Jenn likes to add Smoked Sausage to this great recipe for all-in-one-meal. Yum!