- 2 lbs. stewing beef or any of the cheaper cuts will do fine
- 2 lg. finely chopped onions
- 3 lg. chunky carrots
- 3 diced stalks of celery
- 2 lg. tomato---chopped (can be substituted by 2 T of tomato pure)
- 1 or 2 lg. red or green pepper---coarsely chopped (mild Shepperd or bell)
- 3 lg. potatoes---peeled and in lg. chunks
- 1/2 dried chili pepper
- 4 T. mild Hungarian paprika---(if not available use red Spanish paprika)
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. of celery seed (whole or crushed)
- 1 minced clove of garlic
- 2 T. lard---I substitute olive oil
- For spicer taste add Hot cayenne pepper to taste
YUMMY Slow Cooker Traditional Hungarian Goulash is a perfect recipe to make on a cold day to warm you up!
- Saute onions in oil until golden brown and remove from heat, adding paprika, stir quickly add a cup of water (the paprika flavor will get bitter if not diluted with water fast).
- Now add remaining ingredients adding enough water to cover all.
- Place in the slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on Low 8-10 hours or High 4-5 hours. (timing depends on the type of meat-cuts used).
- Once the meat is cooked tender and if you’re looking for a thicker stew, combine 2 T. cornstarch with 1/2 cup of water. Slowly add cornstarch while stirring.
Note: Traditionally sourdough rye bread or fresh baguette bread is the perfect accompaniment. Spices can be adjusted for your taste.