- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 egg
- sliced mozzarella cheese (can also use shredded)
- Spaghetti sauce (26 oz or more)
- canned or fresh mushrooms, sliced
Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan is one of my favorite “healthier” Italian dishes. Carb-concious crockers can omit the bread crumbs and instead just dredge through the herbs & cheese. If you do this, though, be sure to increase the amount of herbs and cheese accordingly.
NOTE: To prevent the bread crumbs on bottom of the chicken from getting soggy, use an insert like this one.
- Pour olive oil into the bottom of a slow cooker and coat the bottom well using a paper towel.
- Beat the egg in a medium bowl.
- Combine bread crumbs, seasonings and the parmesan cheese and place in a shallow dish.
- Dip the chicken into the egg and then lightly dredge into the bread crumb mix to coat both sides.
- Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place one slice of cheese on each chicken breast.
- Combine pasta sauce and mushrooms the pour over top of the chicken breast pieces.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 7 hours (8 hours if you are using frozen chicken)
- Serve with angel hair pasta and crusty french bread.