- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 1/4 green or red pepper, optional (or combination)
- 2-4 oz. mushrooms, optional
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 2 lbs. venison stew meat
- salt and pepper to taste
- dried oregano to taste
- dried basil to taste
- 1 - 2 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 c. tomato sauce
- 1/2 c. dry red wine
- 1/2 c. water
- Place the celery, onion, garlic, and parsley in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Brown the venison well in two batches, and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, oregano, and basil.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, red wine, and water.
- Cook. Cook on Low for 7 to 10 hours.
Variations: a. Substitute 1 1/2 tsp. garlic salt and 1 tsp. salt for 2 1/2 tsp salt. b. For added color and flavor, add 1 cup frozen peas 5 minutes before end of cooking time. c. Beef can also be used in place of the Venison. d. Some have added also mushrooms and carrots to this delish recipe.