- 6 large baking potatoes, peeled, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 quart low sodium chicken broth (for vegetarian use vegetable broth)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (or pressed)
- 1/4 c. butter
- 2 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 c. cream or half-and-half cream
- 1 c. shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 T. chopped fresh chives or scallions
- 1 c. sour cream (optional)
- 4 slices bacon, fried & crumbled, optional (for vegetarian, eliminate bacon)
- cheese, for sprinkling, if desired
Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup is the perfect comfort food on a cool night. This recipe can be altered to be used for a vegetarian recipe too – just omit the bacon and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Combine first seven ingredients in a large slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 8 hours (check to make sure potatoes are tender).
- Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped, and soup is slightly thickened.
- Stir in cream, cheese and chives/scallions.
- Top with sour cream (if desired), sprinkle with bacon, more cheese (if desired) and chives/scallions.