- 2 lb. bulk Italian pork sausage or ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped, 2 c.
- 2 c. sliced fresh mushrooms 6 oz.
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 28 oz. San Martzano diced tomatoes, canned undrained
- 2 - 28 oz. cans San Martzano tomato puree
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 1 T. dried basil leaves
- 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1 T. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese
- 1 box ziti or rigatoni pasta, 16 oz.
1. Spray 5-quart crock pot with cooking spray or use a crock pot liner.
2. In 12-inch skillet, cook sausage, onions, mushrooms and garlic over medium heat about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sausage is no longer pink; drain.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients, EXCEPT noodles and cheese.
4. Place the uncooked pasta in a colander and run water over the pasta. This will add some moisture to help cook the noodles while in the crock pot.
5. Put a layer of sauce in the bottom of the crock pot, layer the noodles, mozzarella cheese and repeat until all sause and noodles are gone.
6. Cover. Cook on Low for 8 to 9 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours.
7. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese and turn to High for 30 minutes until cheese is melted!
Optional: Sprinkel with Parmasan Cheese
Variation: Can alter recipe to eliminate the sausage to make this a vegetarian dish!
Crock Pot Girl