- 1 oz. butter
- 2 lb. Pumpkin – peeled, cut into inch square pieces
- 1 onion, medium, chopped
- 2 cloves, stick into the onion
- 2 tsp. sugar
- salt to taste – pinch
- 2 1/2 c. Chicken Stock – make your own, use cubes/powder, or use ready made (this is my choice) or Vegetable Stock for a Vegetarian Recipe
- 1 c. milk
- Nutmeg to sprinkle on top
- Optional: For those that prefer a meat flavor, you can add ham or bacon (your choice)
- Top with a dolop of Sour Cream when serving!
- Place pumpkin and butter in the slow cooker and turn to high.
- When butter is melted, stir to coat pumpkin and cook for 1 hour on high. (If you wait for butter to melt you can go to step 3 if you are in a hurry, and omit the cooking on high for the hour, flavor may not be as bold.)
- Add chopped onion, sugar, salt and stock.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 8-9 hours or on High for 4-5 hours.
- Remove the onion, prior to serving.
- Puree soup in a blender or use a hand held device.
- Add milk. (DO NOT add milk if you will be freezing – just freeze without the milk. Then you will add milk when thawed).
Sprinkle with Nutmeg and a dollop of sour cream, when serving.