- 1 qt. chicken broth (or vegetable)
- 2 c. milk, (I used 2%)
- 20 oz. broccoli florets, frozen
- 1/2 c. diced white onion
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 c. each of three different cheeses, (I used jarlsberg, gruyere, and cheddar).
- Mince the onion into really small pieces.
- Add the onion to your slow cooker, and top with the milk, broth, and spices.
- Stir in the frozen broccoli.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 7-9 hours, or on High for 4-6. The broth is done when the onion is cooked nicely.
- 20 minutes or so before serving, shred all the cheese you are going to use, and stir it in. The cheese will be stringy and will stick to the broccoli florets.
Note: Serve with your favorite rolls or drop biscuits.
Tip: Use a brick of your choice of cheeses and shred them by hand, as it will melt better in your soup. Pre-shredded cheese has a anti-caking agent that reduces yeast and mold, and also keeps the cheese from clumping for shipping purposes.
Variation: Blend the soup by using a hand held stick blender to blend some of the large broccoli florets. Thickens the broth, and makes the soup smoother!