- 32 oz. Chicken Stock
- 2 c. Milk
- 3 c. Fresh Broccoli, chopped
- 2 T. Butter
- 2 T. Flour
- 1 Small Onion, Minced
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 c. Sharp Cheddar, grated
- 1 c. Gruyere Cheese, grated
- 1 c. Monterey Jack Cheese, grated
- Place butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Once butter has melted, slowly sprinkle in flour and whisk.
- Continue whisking until a pale yellow thick paste is formed.
- Whisk in the milk, followed by the chicken stock.
- Place minced onion in a 6-Quart slow cooker.
- Pour liquid from skillet in slow cooker.
- Stir in the broccoli. Add Salt & Pepper.
- Cover and Cook on Low 6 hours or until the onion is completely softened.
- Remove lid and stir in nutmeg.
- Once nutmeg is incorporated, stir in shredded cheeses. Cover and cook about 15 minutes on Low or just until cheese is melted.
Tip: Use a brick of your choice of cheeses and shred them by hand, as it will melt better in your soup. Pre-shredded cheese has a anti-caking agent that reduces yeast and mold, and also keeps the cheese from clumping for shipping purposes.
Variation: Blend the soup by using a hand held stick blender to blend some of the large broccoli florets. Thickens the broth, and makes the soup smoother!