- 2 lb. dried great northern beans (mixed if desired) or 2 lb. other dried beans (mixed if desired)
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 2 lg. sweet onion , chopped coarsely
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 T. parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 lb. smoked ham or 2 lb. ham hock
- 12 c. water or 12 c. broth
1. Sort beans and soak in enough water to cover overnight.
2. Rinse the beans the following morning several times to make sure they are clean.
3. Put the rinsed beans, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, parsley, cloves, ham (chopped into large chunks) or ham hocks into the crock pot along with 12 cups water or broth.
4. Cover. Cook on low for about 6-8 hours, or until beans are tender and creamy.
5. Skim any excess fat, if necessary, before serving.
Crock Pot Girl