- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 4 c. marinara sauce
- 15 oz. part skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 c. pecorino romano cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 T. parsley, minced
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 oz. low fat mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 c. chicken or beef stock, or for vegetarian use vegetable stock
1. Stir together the ricotta, pecorino romano cheese, egg, garlic powder, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
2. Spray the crock insert of your crock pot with nonstick spray.
3. Add 1/3 of the pasta with 1/3 of the sauce and stir to get them combined.
4. Dollop 1/2 the ricotta mixture in an even layer and sprinkle on 1/3 of the mozzarella.
5. Repeat by layering in 1/3 of the pasta, then 1/3 of the sauce, the remaining half of the ricotta mixture and 1/3 of the mozzarella.
6. For the final layer, add the remaining third of the pasta, with the remaining sauce and mozzarella sprinkled on top.
7. Pour the chicken or beef stock over the top aiming mainly towards the edges.
8. Cover. Cook on High for 30 minutes, then Low for 2 to 3 hours or until the pasta looks cooked. Turn off the crock pot and let it stand for at least a half an hour to set, then served with additional sauce and grated cheese.
Notes: For a gluten free diet, be sure to use gluten free pasta, chicken or beef stock in the recipe.
Crock Pot Girl