- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c. uncooked pearl barley
- 1/2 c. plain or seasoned tomato juice
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 c. chopped mushrooms
- 2-1/2 c. vegetable broth
- 1/3 c. toasted pine nuts
- In small microwave-safe dish combine olive oil with onion and garlic. Microwave on High for 2 minutes until onion is tender.
- Then combine all ingredients EXCEPT pine nuts in a 3 quart slow cooker (do NOT use a larger slow cooker).
- Cover. Cook on Low for 6-8 hours until barley and vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle with nuts just before serving.
NOTE: If you have a newer slow cooker, check the barley at 4-1/2 hours to see if it’s done.