- 3 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 c. unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 c. Yellow onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 c. risotto rice, (like Arborio)
- 3 c. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 c. chicken broth
- 2 T. fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 c. Pecorino Romano cheese, plus extra for sprinkling on top
- salt and pepper
When throwing your next party, Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Risotto should definitely be on your menu as it is so delish, and your guest will be raving over YOUR risotto!
- In skillet, over medium heat, add oil and butter, and sauté onions until tender, approximately 6-8 minutes.
- Pour rice on top of onions and, with a wooden spoon, coat grains with butter and oil mixture. Cook and occasionally stir for about 4 minutes.
- Transfer rice to stoneware. Add squash, cheese and broth and gently stir ingredients.
- Cover. Cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours.
- When serving, top with basil and additional cheese if desired.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.