- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 2 T. ginger root, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 T. black pepper
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 - 14 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 2 - 15 oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or cook 2 cups dried garbanzo beans until tender, drain, and use)
- chopped green onion, optional
Slow Cooker Gingery Chickpeas in Tomato Sauce is a simple and wonderful vegetarian recipe to serve with a green salad or over rice, and a piece of soft warm bread. A COMFORT meal!
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add diced onion stirring for about 10 minutes, until it begins to brown.
- Add ginger, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper. Continue to cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add balsamic vinegar and tomatoes.
- Put chickpeas in slow cooker.
- Pour hot tomato mixture over chickpeas and stir to combine.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 2-3 hours.
Option: When serving, top each bowl with chopped green onions, if desired.
Serve over rice or not?