- 1.5 c. uncooked wild rice
- 1 T. butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 4 medium green onions, chopped
- 28oz. vegetable broth
- 4oz. can sliced mushrooms (no need to drain)
- 1/2 c. toasted slivered almonds
- 1/3 c. dried cherries
I LOVE cherries! The flavor brings back memories of family trips to Traverse City, MI where you can stop and get fresh-picked cherries at tiny roadside stands and just drop your money in a container the farmer leaves out front. (honor system!) Since the season is short (and cooking with fresh cherries can be the “pits”) I have learned to love dried cherries too. In this recipe, the cherries complement the toasted almonds well and really kick the wild rice up a notch. If you can’t find toasted almonds, you can buy slivered almonds and toast them in a skillet over medium heat. – about 5 minutes, moving the skillet frequently.
- Mix all ingredients except almonds and cherries in your slow cooker.
- Cover. Crock on LOW for about 5 hours or until the wild rice is tender.
- Mix almonds and cherries into the wild rice in the slow cooker.
- Cover. Crock on LOW for an additional 15 minutes.