- One prepared pie crust
- 5 large apples (I like gala)
- 2 T flour
- 1 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 c. half & half
- 1 stick of margarine
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. flour
This really is the Best Ever Apple Pie! It’s actually baked in a paper bag – not crocked but since it’s Thanksgiving, and I am thankful for this Crocking community, I wanted to share this wonderful recipe. My Mother-in-Law is known for this recipe and even non-apple pie lovers rave about it! I only make this for special occasions. If you want to impress your dinner guests this holiday, make this pie!
- Set the margarine out to soften a bit.
- Peel the apples and slice into thin pieces
- Toss with the “filling” ingredients (flour, sugar, cinnamon, half & half)
- Place in prepared pie crust (I make a semi-homemade one like this one from Betty Crocker. )
- Place “topping” ingredients (softened margarine, flour, sugar) in a bowl and knead with your (clean) hands until crumbly. (This is messy – your hands will be full of the topping but it’s worth the finished product!)
- Crumble the topping over the apple pie. It doesn’t have to be perfect, just get it as evenly as possible.
- Place pie in a brown paper grocery sack and close with a paper clip, staple, or tape.
- Place sack directly on oven rack.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes then reduce oven temp to 350 and bake another 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
I hope you love this as much as my family! Happy Thanksgiving!
For over 400 Slow Cooker recipes, click here to get my eBook!