- 1-1/2 lb. chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. dried basil leaves
- 3 T. chicken broth
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 7 oz. pesto, basil
- 2 avocados, peeled and chopped
- 1 c. cubed Havarti cheese
- 4 whole wheat pita breads, cut in half
- Butter lettuce leaves
Slow Cooker Chicken Pesto Pita is a great sandwich to ever serve on game days… You will be a hit!
- Place chicken, onion, garlic, and red bell pepper in a 3-1/2 quart slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and basil. Pour chicken broth over all.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 6-8 hours until chicken is done.
- With two forks shred chicken right in the slow cooker.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add mayonnaise and pesto. Stir in avocados and Havarti cheese.
- Cut the pita bread in half and line with lettuce leaves.
- Add warm chicken mixture and serve immediately.
Optional: If you prefer a cold sandwich, you can cool the chicken mixture in the fridge, then mix with remaining ingredients and serve as a cold sandwich.
NOTE: It will keep in the fridge for a couple of days.