- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 15 oz. whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
- 10 oz. enchilada sauce, canned
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 oz. can green chilis, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 14.5 oz. chicken broth, canned
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 oz. corn, frozen
- 1 T. cilantro, chopped
- 7 corn tortillas
- vegetable oil
If you like Chicken Tortilla Soup then this slow cooker recipe is a must make! The longer you let the soup simmer the more flavor it has and like many soups, the leftovers are even better!
- Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker.
- Pour in water and chicken broth and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf.
- Stir in corn and cilantro.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred, then place back into the soup.
For Tortillas: (You can buy tortilla chips or make your own!)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Brush both sides of tortillas lightly with oil.
- Cut tortillas into strips, lay out on a baking sheet. (a pizza cutter works great for cutting)
- Bake about 10 – 15 minutes in preheated oven until crisp.
- Serve tortilla strips over soup.