- 1/2 c. apple juice or cider
- 1 acorn squash, large, quartered
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 T. butter (may sub vegan margarine)
- 2 T. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 c. diced apples (I used Honey Crisp which are sweet and tart)
- 1/4 lemon, juice of
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 T. maple syrup
- 3 T. walnut
If you like a sweet side dish, you will love Slow Cooker Sweet Acorn Squash with Apples and Craisins, and you will be delighted with the flavor!
- Pour apple juice in bottom of preheated slow cooker that was on High.
- Place squash, cut side up, in bottom of the slow cooker.
- On top of each piece of squash, sprinkle with salt, followed by 1/2 T. butter, 1/2 T. brown sugar, and 1 T. dried cranberries.
- Sprinkle about 1/4 c. of apples in and around the squash.
- Juice lemon over the top of the apples, then sprinkle with cinnamon and pour the maple syrup over the top.
- Cover. Cook for 4-6 hours on Low or 2.5 – 4 hours on HIGH.
NOTE: Cook times will vary. . .but you can’t eat under cooked squash, because you can’t cut it. Therefore, make sure your squash is done, if not turn up to High if you feel it is not done yet!
Optional: When squash it tender, place each piece on a plate and sprinkle with the walnuts.
Optional: If you want your squash sweeter, drizzle with more maple syrup or honey!