- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- 1 Small White Onion, diced
- 3 Carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 Stalks of Celery. finely chopped
- 10 oz. Can of Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies (Rotel)
- 2 T. Fresh Chopped Parsley
- 4 T. Butter, divided
- 3 c. Chicken Broth
- 4 Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 c. Flour
- 2 c. Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 2 oz. Processed Cheese (Velveeta), optional for creaminess
- 1 1/2 c. Milk
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Pepper
- 1/4 c. Sour Cream
When you are looking for an easy recipe that will be good for the adults and the kiddos….look no further than this Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup! Yummy!
- Brown beef and onion in a large skillet. Place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain grease.
- Put 1 T. butter in the bottom of a 6-Quart slow cooker and top with the carrots, celery, and potatoes.
- Crumble beef and onion mixture over top.
- Top with can of Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies. (Rotel)
- Add salt & pepper and pour chicken broth in the slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on LOW for 4 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Just before soup is done, melt remaining 3 T. butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Make a roux by whisking flour into the melted butter and cook for a few minutes until golden in color and bubbling.
- Whisk milk into the roux and cook on medium heat (continuously whisking) until fully incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Pour mixture into the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Stir in cheese, sour cream and fresh parsley.
- Cover. Cook for an additional 20 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
- To serve, top with croutons or a side of crusty french bread.
Update on 10/6/15: I’ve found that my family likes this more meaty so I increased the amount of ground beef from 1/2 lb. to 1 lb. in the recipe.
Optional: If you like your soup a little thicker, just add 1 to 2 T. corn starch whipped smooth in water and add to the soup! Serve with crackers, bread or topped with croutons for a tasty meal!