- 1 c. onion, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 c. potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 c. carrots, shredded
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. dry ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 10 oz. cheese, cheddar, shredded
- 1 T. butter
- 16-19 oz. Bratwurst, uncooked
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 12 oz. ale, bottle (optional)
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. cornstarch
Crock Pot Cheddar Bratwurst Soup is a great soup to serve on a cold day, and also for game days!
1. Combine onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots and seasonings and place in crock pot. Top with cheese.
2. Pour in chicken broth and optional bottle of ale.
3. Cover. Cook on High.
4. While above is crocking, melt butter on medium high in skillet.
5. Sear bratwurst on each side. Drain and slice into 1/2 inch slices.
6. Transfer back to the skillet to sear on cut sides as well. Drain.
7. Place in crock pot.
8. Cover and continue crocking for 4 hours on High or 8 hours on Low.
9. Thirty minutes before serving, remove 1/2 cup of liquid.
10. Combine cooking liquid and cornstarch in a medium bowl. Stir well until combined. Add heavy cream. Stir well. Return to crock pot. Stir. Replace cover to continue cooking until thickened.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, crusty bread or pretzels. I like the soft pretzels!
Crock Pot Girl