- 1 c. onion, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 c. potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 c. carrots, shredded
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. dry ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 10 oz. cheese, cheddar, shredded
- 1 T. butter
- 16-19 oz. Bratwurst, uncooked
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 12 oz. ale, bottle (optional)
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. cornstarch
Slow Cooker Cheddar Bratwurst Soup is a great soup to serve on a cold day, and also for game days!
- Combine onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots and seasonings and place in slow cooker. Top with cheese.
- Pour in chicken broth and optional bottle of ale.
- Cover. Cook on High.
- While above is crocking, melt butter on medium high in skillet.
- Sear bratwurst on each side. Drain and slice into 1/2 inch slices.
- Transfer back to the skillet to sear on cut sides as well. Drain.
- Place in slow cooker.
- Cover and continue crocking for 4 hours on High or 8 hours on Low.
- Thirty minutes before serving, remove 1/2 cup of liquid.
- Combine cooking liquid and cornstarch in a medium bowl. Stir well until combined. Add heavy cream. Stir well. Return to slow cooker. Stir. Replace cover to continue cooking until thickened.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, crusty bread or pretzels. I like the soft pretzels!