- 1 Small Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 6 Red Potatoes. washed and cubed
- 2 T. Sliced Green Onions
- 2 Carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Dry Ground Mustard
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper
- 1.5 c. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 T. Unsalted Butter
- 4 Bratwurst, uncooked
- 4 c. Chicken Stock
- 12 oz. Ale Beer, like Sierra Nevada
- 1 c. Half & Half
- 2 T. Cornstarch
Slow Cooker Cheddar Bratwurst Soup is a great soup to serve on a cold day, and also for game days!
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and sweat the onions and garlic with 1 T. olive oil.
- Place potatoes, carrots and green onions in the bottom of a 6-Quart Slow Cooker and top with cooked onions/garlic.
- Slice brats and brown & sear on both sides in the heated skillet.
- Drain on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any grease.
- Place brats in slow cooker and top with seasonings then cheese.
- Pour in chicken stock and ale.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or 6 hours on LOW.
- Combine cornstarch and 1/4 c. water in a measuring cup. Stir into soup.
- Stir half & half into soup.
- Cover and cook for 15 more minutes on HIGH.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, crusty bread or pretzels. I like the soft pretzels!