- 1 c. water
- 2 T. sugar
- 3/4 c. white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 black peppercorns
- 5 whole cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 3 lbs. rump roast, trimmed
- 1 1/2 c. onion, large, sliced
- 15 cookies, gingersnaps, crumbled
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Slow Cooker German Sauerbraten is a wonderful dish, although you must plan ahead, I know you will be delighted. Great served on buttered noodles, Spaetzel, potato dumplings, potato pancakes or with German Potato Salad!
- In a large zip lock bag, combine water, sugar, vinegar, salt, peppercorns, cloves, bay leave and lemon. Seal Bag!
- Toss ingredients in bag to marinade.
- Put roast and onion in the bag; seal, turning to coat.
- Marinate in refrigerator for 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Place marinade roast in a 5 quart slow cooker, reserving the marinade.
- In cheese cloth, strain reserved marinade through the sieve into a bowl, enough to make 1 1/2 cups; discard the rest.
- Placing the 1 1/2 cups strained marinade over roast.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 5 hours or until roast is tender.
- Remove roast from the slow cooker; cover and keep warm.
- Mix gingersnap crumbs with broth in the slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 10 minutes or until sauce thickens; stir with a whisk until smooth.
Serve sauce with roast. Garnish with parsley, if desired.