- 3 slices bacon
- 1 c. onion, chopped
- 16 oz. collard greens, chopped fresh
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 14.5 oz. chicken broth, fat-free, lower-sodium
- 3 T. balsamic vinegar
- 1 T. honey
Crock Pot Balsamic Collard Greens is definitely a dish for the south, and very tasty, although it is full of nutrition!
1. In a large Dutch oven pan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble.
2. Add onion to drippings in pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
3. Place collard greens in with the onions, and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until greens begin to wilt, stirring occasionally.
4. Transfer collard green mixture, salt, garlic, bay leaf and broth in a 3 quart crock pot.
3. Cover. Cook on Low for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
4. Combine balsamic vinegar and honey in a small bowl.
5. Stir vinegar/honey mixture into collard greens just before serving.
6. Sprinkle with crisp bacon.
Crock Pot Girl