- 3 slices bacon
- 1 c. onion, chopped
- 16 oz. collard greens, chopped fresh
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 14.5 oz. chicken broth, fat-free, lower-sodium
- 3 T. balsamic vinegar
- 1 T. honey
Slow Cooker Balsamic Collard Greens is definitely a dish for the south, and very tasty, although it is full of nutrition!
- In a large Dutch oven pan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble.
- Add onion to drippings in pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Place collard greens in with the onions, and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until greens begin to wilt, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer collard green mixture, salt, garlic, bay leaf and broth in a 3 quart slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Combine balsamic vinegar and honey in a small bowl.
- Stir vinegar/honey mixture into collard greens just before serving.
- Sprinkle with crisp bacon.