- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 white onion, cut into large chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle Irish stout beer (e.g. Guinness®)
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
If you love comfort food you will love Crock Pot Irish Beef Stew! It is good even if you don’t serve it on St. Patrick’s Day! YUMMY!
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Place beef cubes with flour in a large baggie and shake to coat, then fry in the hot oil until browned.
3. Place the carrots, potatoes, onion and garlic in a large crock pot.
4. Transfer the meat on top of the vegetables.
5. Combine the beef broth and tomato paste and pour into the crock pot along with the beer.
6. Cover. Cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 6 hours.
7. During the last hour before serving, dissolve the cornstarch in cold water and then stir into the broth.
8. Simmer on the High for a few minutes to thicken.
Optional: I like to add 1/2 cup red wine with this recipe too!
Crock Pot Girl