- 3 c. chicken broth
- 1 c. quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 c. Southwestern egg substitute
- 5 oz. Velveeta cheese, cubed, reduced-fat
- 1/4 c. milk
- 2 T. butter
- 1 1/4 c. ham, fully cooked, cubed
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 c. cheddar cheese, shredded (I like sharp cheddar)
Slow Cooker Ham and Egg Grits Casserole is good enough to serve not only for Breakfast. Often make this casserole for a great Brunch! Guests will love this one! Enjoy!
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Slowly stir in grits, reducing the heat to medium-low.
- Cover, cook for 5 minutes or until it starts to thicken, stirring occasionally. Removing from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of the hot grits into egg substitute, returning all to saucepan.
- Mix well.
- Combine Velveeta cheese, milk, and butter and stir into the saucepan just until the cheese is melted.
- Stir in ham, green onions, salt, garlic powder, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Coat the sides and bottom of a 4-5 quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Transferring mixture to the slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook for 4 – 5 hours on Low or 2 – 2 1/2 hours on High. Half way through crocking turn the crock half way around inside the slow cooker. (NOTE: This will help from the casserole burning, as a slow cooker normally cooks hotter on one side then the other.)
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over top.
- Cover for 20-30 minutes before serving to melt the cheese on top.