- 4 chicken, thighs, skin-on, bone-in
- 8 c. chicken broth
- 1 piece ginger, peeled and sliced in half
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 4 oz. mushrooms, shitake, diced
- 3 green onions, sliced, tops included
- 2 T. tamari or soy sauce
- 2 T. Mirin
- 2 T. rice vinegar
- 2 eggs, large, beaten with a fork
- Salt and pepper to taste
Love the blend of flavors in this delicious Slow Cooker Egg Drop Soup. YUMMY!
- Place chicken thighs, chicken broth, ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes in a slow cooker on High for 3 1/2 – 4 hours, or on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove thighs, cool and shred the meat, discarding skin, bones, etc.
- Remove garlic and ginger pieces.
- Add all ingredients EXCEPT eggs, salt and pepper and cook for another 2 hours on Low.
- Stir soup in a circular fashion and slowly stream in eggs.
NOTE: Mirin is actually is a sweet rice wine, and you can substitute by dissolving 1/4 tsp. of sugar to 1/4 cup white wine or sherry to get your 2 T. of Mirin. Discard excess!
Serve and garnished with cooked rice and additional green onions, if desired.