- 2 lb. beef oxtails, or Grass-Fed Beef Stew Meat
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced (optional)
- 2 c. beef stock, homemade or organic is best
- 3 T. tomato paste
- 1 T. allspice berries (or 1 tsp. ground allspice)
- 1 tsp. fish sauce (Red Boat Fish Sauce is a good choice)
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme (or 1 tsp. dried thyme)
- Coconut oil or fat of choice
- Sea salt and pepper
Slow Cooker Paleo Caribbean Oxtail has an amazing flavor. Browning the oxtail is a step you will not want to skip as it adds so much flavor.
- Prepare the vegetables by dicing the onions and carrots; and mincing the garlic and ginger.
- Jalapeño pepper are optional, if you choose to use them, remove some or all of the seeds and mince.
- If you like the spice, you can keep some of the seeds or even add a hotter pepper such as habanero.
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the oxtails with salt and pepper. Brown them on all sides, and transfer to the slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, add the prepared veggies, onion, carrot, garlic, ginger and jalapeño. Cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Place the beef stock, tomato paste, allspice berries, fish sauce and thyme to the skillet.
- With a wooden spoon or spatula, deglaze the pan, by scraping up all the browned bits from the oxtail.
- Pour the contents into the slow cooker to cover the oxtail.
- Cover. Cook on High for 6 hours.
NOTE: If you can’t find oxtail, you can substitute with Grass-Fed Beef Stew Meat!