- 2 lbs. chicken, bone-in, skin removed (I like the dark meat)
- 2 carrots, large, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, white, medium, peeled and vertically sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 c. water
- 1/2 tsp. pepper, black, fresh cracked
- 2 tsp. salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 c. matzo ball mix
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
Slow Cooker EASY Matzo Ball Soup has all the flavors of a great chicken soup. Enjoy this one during the holidays!
- Combine chicken, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, water and salt and pepper to a slow cooker and stir.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and discard the bones. The chicken should just fall apart, but if there are large pieces, use a fork to shred. Then return chicken meat to the soup.
- In the last hour before the soup is done, stir together the matzo ball mix, vegetable oil and eggs in a separate bowl until combined. Place in the refrigerate for 15 minutes to chill so you can shape the mix into 1-inch balls.
- Gently place the balls in the soup, being careful not to burn yourself.
- Cover. Cook for an additional 20 minutes.
Optional: Thin dried noodles, can be added in the last 20 minutes.
If needed, season with salt and pepper one last time before serving.