- 1 T. canola oil
- 1 lb. chicken breast, skinless, boneless, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 lb. chicken thighs, skinless, boneless, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 c. onion, chopped
- 1 c. green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 c. celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 oz. turkey kielbasa, halved and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 tsp. Cajun seasoning, salt free
- 1/2 tsp. thyme, dried
- 1/4 tsp. paprika, Spanish smoked (optional)
- 29 oz. tomatoes, diced, with onion and green peppers, undrained
- 14 oz. chicken broth, fat-free, lower-sodium
- 7 oz. rice, long-grain, boil-in-bag
- 1 lb. shrimp, medium, peeled and deveined
- 2 T. parsley, chopped, fresh flat-leaf
- 1 T. hot sauce
- Fresh parsley leaves (optional)
Slow Cooker Shrimp and Chicken Jambalaya is one of those comfort meals served with a little heat. Enjoy!
- In a large skillet, add oil, over high heat, cook chicken for approximately 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer chicken to a slow cooker.
- Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic to skillet used to cook chicken; sauté 4 minutes or until tender.
- Add onion mixture, kielbasa, cajun seasoning, dried thyme, paprika (optional), tomatoes and chicken broth to slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 5 hours.
- Cook rice according to direction on package.
- Add rice, shrimp, chopped parsley and hot sauce, EXCEPT parsley garnish to slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on High for an additional 15 minutes or until shrimp are done.
NOTE: If desired, Garnish with parsley leaves.