- 2 lb. butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 c. onion. medium, chopped
- 14 1/2 oz. chicken broth, canned (or vegetable broth for vegetarian)
- 2 c. apple sauce
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 c. sour cream
To get all the flavors of Fall… Slow Cooker Squash and Apple Bisque is delightful. Serve with a fresh tossed green salad and House Italian Salad Dressing or the dressing of your choice.
- Mix all ingredients EXCEPT sour cream in 4 to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 8 – 10 hours or on High for 3 – 5 hours, or until squash is tender.
- Place 1/3 to 1/2 of the mixture at a time in blender or food processor. Cover and blend on high speed until smooth.
- Return soup to slow cooker. Stir in sour cream.
- Cover again. Cook on Low for another 15 minutes or just until soup is hot; stir.
- Garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream.
Tip: Sour cream will break down and curdle if it becomes too hot. After adding the cold sour cream, cook the bisque just long enough for it to reheat. If using reduced-fat sour cream, add it the same way.
Variations: serve this bisque thoroughly chilled, garnished with thin slices of Granny Smith apples and a sprinkling of finely chopped crystallized ginger. Add a dollop of sour cream on top of each serving, swirling slightly into the soup with the tip of a knife. For a touch of crunch and color, sprinkle with chopped pecan or poppy sees.