- 1/2 c. chicken broth, fat-free, low-sodium
- 3 T. dry white wine
- 2 T. cognac
- 3 1/3 lb. chicken, whole, skinned and cut into 8 pieces
- 1 1/2 tsp. olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1 1/2 tsp. butter
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- 40 garlic cloves, peeled - about 4 whole heads
- 2 tsp. thyme, fresh leaves
- 4 tsp. parsley, chopped, fresh (optional)
After reading about how good garlic is for you, I knew Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken would be a great recipe to make for my family. ENJOY!
- Combine broth, white wine and cognac in a small bowl.
- Discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- In a large non-stick skillet heat oil and butter over medium-high heat until butter melts.
- Sprinkle chicken pieces evenly with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to skillet; brown for 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Transfer to a 4 quart slow cooker.
- Reduce heat in skillet to medium, adding garlic to drippings; sauté for 1 minute or until garlic begins to brown.
- Stir in broth mixture from step #1, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Boil for approximately 2 minutes or until sauce is reduced to about 1 cup.
- Pour sauce over chicken; sprinkle with thyme.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 4 hours or until chicken is done.
- Serve sauce and garlic with chicken.
NOTE: If desired, garnish with chopped parsley… also delicious with stir fried veggies!