- 1 c. wild rice, uncooked
- 1 lb. chicken breasts
- 3/4 c. celery
- 3/4 c. onions
- 1/2 c. carrots
- 6 c. chicken broth
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1/2 c. butter
- 3/4 c. flour
- 2 c. whole milk
- 4 oz. can of mushrooms (optional)
- a few T. white wine (optional)
- up to 2 c. additional milk or water
Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup is just delicious. If you like a creamy and filling soup this is the soup for you! Enjoy!
- Prepare the wild rice, by rinsing.
- Transfer the rinsed uncooked wild rice, raw chicken, celery, onions, carrots, mushrooms (optional) chicken broth, and poultry seasoning in a slow cooker.
- Cover. Crock on Low for 7-8 hours. (Chicken should be cooked through and the rice should be soft.)
- DO NOT DRAIN the extra liquid from the slow cooker.
- Remove chicken breasts from the slow cooker and allow to cool slightly. With two forks, shred the chicken.
- Transfer the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker.
- When the wild rice and chicken are done cooking, melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Gently add in the flour and let the mixture bubble for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the milk until a thick, creamy mixture forms.
- Stir in the wine.
- Mix this to the rice and chicken in the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Add extra water or milk to adjust the consistency as you like it.
- Season with additional salt and pepper.
Optional: You can also add mushrooms!
NOTES: Poultry seasoning is a mix of several seasonings, including thyme and sage. DO NOT OMIT seasoning as it adds a lot of the flavor. If you don’t have poultry seasoning, just use other herb seasonings that you like.