- 2 lb. beef oxtails
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 c. shitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 2 c. beef stock
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 T. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 tsp. tamarind paste
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 T. Coconut oil or grass-fed butter
- Sea salt and pepper
I love discovering new foods that, maybe just a few years ago, I would have never tried! The crock is the absolute perfect companion to this recipe for Slow Cooker Paleo Island Oxtail. Make a stop at your local butcher for this flavorful and rich cut of beef.
- Heat coconut oil or butter in a large skillet (cast iron preferably) over medium-high heat.
- Season the oxtails with sea salt and pepper.
- Brown on all sides, about 3-4 minutes each side and place in crock.
- Add the diced onions, carrots, mushrooms, and jalapeño to same skillet.
- Cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- De-glaze the pan by adding the beef stock to skillet, then garlic, tomato paste, allspice, and tamarind, scraping up all of the browned bits in skillet.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour this sauce over the oxtails in crock.
- Cover and crock on LOW 8 hours.