- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 garlic clove, fresh or 1½ tsp. minced garlic
- 15 oz. stewed tomatoes
- 16 oz. kidney beans
- 10 3/4 oz. soup, cream of mushroom (1 can)
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ¼ tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1½ cups grated cheese, monterey jack or cheddar
This recipe for Slow Cooker Lumberjack Casserole has been around for decades. It came from the logging camps in the Northlands where they were famous for their hearty meals. Kiddos will like this recipe just because of the story!
- In a skillet, brown the ground beef and drain the fat, transferring the ground beef to a slow cooker.
- In a bowl, smash a little of the tomatoes with juice, using a potato masher. When complete add to ground beef mixture with juice to slow cooker.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the cheese and stir to mix well.
- Cover. Crock on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours.
- Sprinkle the top with cheese and let cook for one more hour covered.
NOTE: Serve with a side of cornbread or fresh baked biscuits. YUMMY!