- 2 chicken breasts, halves, boneless, skinless and cubed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 tomatoes, medium, fresh, peeled, chopped
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 green chile, mild, seeded and chopped
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 4 corn tortillas, halved and cut into 1/4 inch strips
- cheese, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, or cheese of your choice
- 2 T. cilantro, coarsely chopped, fresh
- 2 T. Italian parsley
Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup is one of my family favorites, and although I have other recipes on my website, just had to add this one too… so GOOD!
- In a 5-6 quart slow cooker, combine chicken breasts, onion, garlic, tomatoes, broth, salt, pepper and green chile.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 7-8 hours.
- In large skillet, heat oil and add tortilla strips. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until crisp; drain on paper towels.
- Place a tablespoon or 2 of shredded Monterey Jack cheese (or cheese of your choice) in each serving bowl, if desired.
- Ladle tortilla soup into bowls and top with tortilla strips.
Optional: Dust with chopped cilantro and/or parsley.