- 8 oz. sausage, hot Italian
- 1 eggplant, medium
- 28 oz. tomatoes, Italian-style whole peeled in puree, cut up, canned
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced, button or fresh cremini
- 6 oz. tomato paste, Italian-style
- 1/2 c. onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 c. wine, dry red
- 1/2 c. herbs, assorted fresh herbs (such as flat-leaf parsley, oregano, basil, thyme, and/or herbs of your choice)
- 1/3 c. olives, Italian, pitted, sliced
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste (optional)
- 6 c. pasta, penne, cooked
- 1/4 c. cheese, grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 T. nuts, pine, toasted (optional)
We love pasta at our house, and Slow Cooker Penne Pasta with Sausage Eggplant Sauce is one we love to serve. I know it is a carb, but I still have it in my rotation of meals that my family really enjoys. Easy but yet one I like to serve to my guests too! Yum!
- Brown sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat. Draining off fat.
- Peel eggplant and cut into 1-inch cubes. NOTE: Not mandatory to peel eggplant, but I like my eggplant peeled.
- Combine browned sausage, eggplant, pureed tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato paste, onion, garlic and wine.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 7 hours or on High for 3-1/2 hours.
- Stir in herbs and olives. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook Penne Pasta as directed on the package, good with wheat pasta too.
- Top with the Eggplant Sauce and cheese.
- Sprinkle with Optional pine nuts. Not an option with me, I love pine nuts with this recipe.