- 1-2 T. Canola Oil
- 3 lb. chicken thighs and/or legs, skinned
- 1.1 oz. beefy onion soup mix, envelope (1/2 of a 2.2-ounce package)
- 1 c. mushrooms, cut into wedges (~ 3 pieces/mushroom)
- 1/2 onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 c. red wine (make sure it's not sweet!)
- 1 c. chicken stock
- 1 T. tomato paste
- 1 T. flour
- 2 T. cooked bacon pieces (optional)
This is a delicious and traditional French recipe that includes two of my favorite things – Chicken & Wine! (literal translation is “Rooster in Wine”) Slow Cooker Coq au Vin is a must make recipe, and is full of flavor!
- Heat canola oil in a skillet over medium-high heat
- Salt & pepper the chicken
- Brown chicken, cooking about 5 minutes per side
- Place chicken on a paper towel to drain the fat
- Add the chicken to a 4-5 quart slow cooker and sprinkle with the soup mix powder.
- Add mushrooms, onions, and carrots.
- Pour chicken stock and wine over top.
- Cover & Crock on Low for 4-5 hours.
- Remove lid and mix tomato paste into sauce; sprinkle with flour and stir. (this will help thicken the sauce)
- Stir in bacon pieces (optional)
- Cover & Crock for 30 minutes longer.
- Shred chicken into large pieces and discard chicken bones or save for making chicken stock.
- Place chicken in bowls and pour stew over top.