- 15 oz. black beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 oz. tomatoes, diced with green chiles (Do Not Drain)
- 1 c. pearl barley, uncooked
- 2 c. vegetable broth
- 3/4 c. corn, frozen
- 1/4 c. green onion, chopped
- 1 T. lime juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper (less if you don't like it that spicy)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 10-12 eggs
- 10-12 tortillas, flour or corn
- Garnish with the following toppings of your choice:
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Fresh cilantro
This recipe for Slow Cooker Breakfast Burritos is not only delicious, it’s also perfect for serving at brunch! Place the ingredients in a slow cooker when you get up in the morning, and it will be done cooking in time for brunch. When guests arrive, Set up a station with a slow cooker with bean filling, a slow cooker with scrambled eggs (cooked on stovetop but kept warm in the slow cooker), a plate of warm tortillas and desired toppings. Let everyone make their own burritos – fun!
(Note: I have also added bacon to these burritos and everyone enjoyed it. I left it off the recipe because it’s much healthier without it and the burrito filling is so flavorful, you really don’t need to add meat.)
- Combine black beans, tomatoes, pearl barley, broth, corn, green onions, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, ground red pepper and garlic in a 4 quart slow cooker.
- Stir well.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 4 hours.
- Use a skillet and scramble as many eggs as needed. (about 1-2 per burrito)
- Warm tortillas between two slightly dampened paper towels in the microwave.
- Spoon bean filling into a warm tortilla.
- Top with egg, and garnish with toppings of your choice.
OPTIONAL: Can add breakfast meat of your choice.