- 2 c. basmati rice, or long or short grain brown rice, uncooked
- 2 c. chicken broth or vegetable broth for Vegan, or water (broth will add flavor)
- 14.5 oz. tomatoes, diced, (I used organic)
- 2 T. oil, olive (optional for sautéing)
- 1 onion, medium, sautéed (can also add without sautéing)
- 1 green bell pepper,sautéed (also optional like the onion)
- Optional veggies: carrot, zucchini and etc. (chopped finely)
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 T. fresh cilantro
Slow Cooker Spanish Rice is a delicious side dish with any Mexican Meal! YUM!
- Optional: In a skillet, heat oil (olive) and sauté onion and pepper, adding the rice for additional flavor.
- Grease the slow cooker, and transfer the rice, pepper and onion.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients EXCEPT the cilantro, and stir to combine plus any additional veggies you will enjoy.
- Cover. Cook on High for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours.
Optional: Add any vegetables you will enjoy!
NOTE: Checking after 2 hours to make sure the rice is absorbing the moisture. When the rice is soft and the moisture is absorbed, the rice is done. If needed, add additional water or broth.
Servings suggestions: I like to place in a small bowl and turn upside down on the plate and sprinkle with cilantro to make a nice presence when serving guests.