- 1 1/2 lb. boneless lean beef, cubed or stew meat
- 3 T. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 (10.5 oz.) cans beef broth
- 6 c. water
- 14.5 oz. tomatoes, diced, petite
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 carrots, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 c. barley
- 1 tsp. dried thyme (Optional)
Sometimes you just want a COMFORT Soup that is full of flavor and that everyone in the family will like. Slow Cooker Beef and Barley is just PERFECT!
- Over medium heat, saute the beef in a skillet with the oil for 5 minutes, or until browned.
- Next, combine the salt, pepper and garlic powder and stir into seasoned meat and transfer to your a slow cooker.
- Pour just a little bit of the beef broth or water into the skillet and scrap up the browned bits. Also adding to the slow cooker.
- Combine the broth, water, tomatoes, celery, carrots, green onions, parsley and barley and pour over the beef.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours, or until the vegetables and barley are tender.
- Add the thyme just before serving. (Optional)
NOTE: Easy to convert to VEGETARIAN by omitting the beef, and substituting the Beef Broth for Vegetable Broth.