- 1 1/2 lb. round steak or stew meat, cubed
- 2 T. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. basil
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 32 oz. beef broth
- 6 c. water
- 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 carrots, chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 c. barley
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
Sometimes you just want a COMFORT Soup that is full of flavor and that everyone in the family will like. Slow Cooker Beef and Barley is just PERFECT!
- Season beef with salt and pepepr.
- Heat oil over medium heat and brown the beef on all sides.
- Transfer to a 6-Quart slow cooker.
- Pour just a little bit of the beef broth or water into the skillet and scrape up the browned bits. Add these to the slow cooker.
- Add the broth, water, tomatoes, celery, carrots, green pepper, garlic powder and barley to the slow cooker.
- Stir and Cover. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours, or until the vegetables and barley are tender.
- Add the parsley and thyme then cover and cook for an 15 additional minutes on LOW. (Optional)
NOTE: Easy to convert to VEGETARIAN by omitting the beef, and substituting the Beef Broth for Vegetable Broth.