- 1.5 lb. Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Juice of One Orange
- Peel of One Orange (to zest)
- Juice of One Lemon
- 1/2 c. Brown Sugar
- 1/4 c. Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 c. Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp. Fresh Ginger, minced
- 1 tsp. Fresh Garlic, minced
- 1.5 c. Water
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 2 T. Cornstarch mixed into 2 T. Water
- 1/2 Green Pepper, chopped
- 1/2 Red Pepper, chopped
- 3 Green Onions, sliced
- 1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes, if desired
I have to admit it – I LOVE Asian food! One dish my family can agree on ordering any time we go out to eat at a Chinese restaurant is Orange Peel Chicken. I love this dish so much that I had to create something similar for myself. It’s much more cost-effective (and likely healthier too) to make this Slow Cooker Orange Peel Chicken at home. Add a side of your favorite Asian noodles or even make some fried rice in the slow cooker and you’ve got a great meal! What’s your favorite Chinese dish? Let me know in the comments below and I’ll show you how to make it in the slow cooker!
- Cut the chicken into 2-inch cubes
- Add cubed chicken to a 3 to 4 Quart Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker
- Zest Orange before juicing – scrape orange against a fine grater or zester to remove the outer layer of peel. Reserve for sauce.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl (make sure you mix the 2 T. of cornstarch in with 2 T. of water before adding to sauce mixture – this will prevent lumps)
- Pour sauce ingredients from bowl over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle chopped green onions, green peppers, red peppers and if desired, red pepper flakes, over top of chicken and sauce.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Stir well.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-5 hours or until chicken is cooked through. You can stir half-way through, if desired.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
Note: If you prefer more of a glaze-type sauce do the following after chicken is finished slow cooking -
- Remove chicken and veggies from sauce with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Pour sauce in a pan on the stovetop over medium-high heat.
- In a separate container, again mix 2 T. water with 2-3 T. cornstarch.
- Pour cornstarch/water mixture into sauce and stir frequently over medium-high heat until thickened.
- Turn stove off, add chicken & veggies back to sauce and stir. Serve over rice or noodles.