Cooking Time:6 hours on Low
Ingredients1 lb. Lean Ground Beef
1/2 lb. Lean Ground Veal
2 T. Italian Seasoning
1 Egg, slightly beaten
1/2 c. Milk (whole milk is preferred)
1/2 c. Breadcrumbs
1 tsp. Garlic Salt
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Mozzarella Cheese, 1/2 inch cubes
15 oz. Diced Tomatoes
28-32 oz. of your favorite Marinara Sauce
I LOVE a good ol’ Spaghetti & Meatballs and this Slow Cooker “Surprise” Marinara Meatballs is what I make when I’m craving a delicious dish. The “surprise” in the meatballs is a pop of ooey-gooey mozzarella cheese in the center that adds some fun & flavor.
Like many kids, my daughter is not a fan of sauce on her noodles BUT she loves these meatballs and the fact that they have cheese inside! If you have a picky eater maybe he or she will love this recipe too. 🙂
- Combine all ingredients except mozzarella, diced tomatoes and marinara sauce in a large bowl.
- Mix these meatball ingredients well with your clean hands.
- Form each meatball around a piece of cubed mozzarella. Meatballs should be slightly larger than a golf ball. This recipe makes approximately 24 meatballs. TIP: Make sure you create a firm meatball to prevent cheese from oozing out while cooking!
- Optional Browning step: Heat 2 T. of oil in a large skillet. Lightly brown meatballs on all sides. Remove from skillet and place meatballs on a paper towel lined plate to absorb grease. You can do this in one pot if you have the STOVETOP SAFE SLOW COOKER.
- Pour half of the marinara sauce and half of the diced tomatoes in a 6-Quart Slow Cooker.
- Gently place meatballs on top of tomato mixture in slow coker.
- Top meatballs with the remaining tomatoes and sauce. Add salt & pepper if desired.
- Cover & cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Place meatballs and sauce from the slow cooker on top of cooked spaghetti. These meatballs are also great for meatball sandwiches on toasted buns or as a pizza topping.
For over 450 more Slow Cooker recipes, click here to get my eBook!