- 1 Duck, thawed
- 4 Large Carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 Stalks of Celery, chopped
- 2 Apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp. Coarse Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Freshly Ground Pepper
- Small Piece of Cheesecloth for herbs
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 1 Small Bunch of Thyme
- 5 Whole Peppercorns
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Orange
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, quartered
Slow Cooker Duck takes some time to prepare, but the reward is in the final result of a beautiful bird. Enjoy!
- Place rack in a 6-Quart slow cooker (or crumple up foil if you don’t have one.
- Place carrots, celery and apple on top of rack or foil.
- Preparing duck: Remove the giblets and trim any visible pieces of fat (can be saved if desired.)
- Salt and pepper the duck inside and out.
- Place orange and onion inside the duck.
- Make a bouquet garni with the bay leaf, thyme, rosemary and peppercorns and place inside the duck. (herbs tied in a small piece of cheese cloth)
- Set the duck breast side up over the carrots, celery and apple.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 6-7 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours.
- NOTE: A wild duck will cook faster as it has less fat. Temperature should be 185′F.
- Half way through cooking, check the juice level. If the juices are above the bottom of the duck, remove some of them and discard or set aside.
- When the duck is cooked, carefully remove rack from slow cooker and transfer to an oven-safe dish. Duck will be fall-apart tender.
- If desired, place dish under the broiler for a few minutes to brown and crisp the skin (this will look more appetizing.)
- Once browned, remove from oven and allow juices to settle for 10 minutes before cutting into the duck.
Carve and serve.