Cooking Time:6-7 hours on Low or 3-4 hours on High
Ingredients1 Duck, thawed
4 Large Carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 Stalks of Celery, chopped
2 Apples, peeled and chopped
1 tsp. Coarse Salt
1/2 tsp. Freshly Ground Pepper
Small Piece of Cheesecloth for herbs
2 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
1 Small Bunch of Thyme
5 Whole Peppercorns
1 Bay Leaf
1 Medium Yellow Onion, quartered
Slow Cooker Duck takes some time to prepare, but the reward is in the final result of a beautiful bird. Enjoy!
- Place rack in a 6-Quart slow cooker (or crumple up foil if you don’t have one.
- Place carrots, celery and apple on top of rack or foil.
- Preparing duck: Remove the giblets and trim any visible pieces of fat (can be saved if desired.)
- Salt and pepper the duck inside and out.
- Place orange and onion inside the duck.
- Make a bouquet garni with the bay leaf, thyme, rosemary and peppercorns and place inside the duck. (herbs tied in a small piece of cheese cloth)
- Set the duck breast side up over the carrots, celery and apple.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 6-7 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours.
- NOTE: A wild duck will cook faster as it has less fat. Temperature should be 185’F.
- Half way through cooking, check the juice level. If the juices are above the bottom of the duck, remove some of them and discard or set aside.
- When the duck is cooked, carefully remove rack from slow cooker and transfer to an oven-safe dish. Duck will be fall-apart tender.
- If desired, place dish under the broiler for a few minutes to brown and crisp the skin (this will look more appetizing.)
- Once browned, remove from oven and allow juices to settle for 10 minutes before cutting into the duck.
Carve and serve.
For over 400 more recipes, click here to get my eBook “Get Crocked: The Definitive Guide to Slow Cooking”
I wanting to try this recipe but there’s some details I missing. For instance, do you put a whole orange inside the duck or is it quartered or peeled or what?
[…] Best Slow Cooker Duck Recipes from Slow Cooker Duck Get Crocked Slow Cooker Recipes from. Source Image: http://www.getcrocked.com. Visit this site for details: http://www.getcrocked.com […]