Cooking Time:7–8 hours on Low or 3 1/2–4 hours on High
Ingredients8 oz. sausage, hot Italian, bulk
1 eggplant, medium
28 oz. tomatoes, Italian-style whole peeled tomatoes in puree, cut up, canned
8 oz. mushrooms, fresh cremini and/or button, sliced
6 oz. tomato paste, can Italian-style
1/2 c. onion, chopped
1/2 c. wine, dry red
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. oregano, assorted snipped fresh herbs (such as basil, oregano, thyme, and/or Italian [flat-leaf] parsley)
1/3 c. Kalamata, olives, pitted or other Italian olives, sliced
Salt and ground black pepper (optional)
6 c. pasta, penne, hot cooked (or pasta that you have on hand)
1/4 c. cheese, Parmesan, grated or shredded
2 T. nuts, pine, toasted (optional)
Slow Cooker Pasta with Eggplant Sauce is one of those dishes you will want to serve to your special guests… So GOOD!
- Cook Sausage until brown in a skillet over medium-high heat until brown.
- Drain fat from Sausage.
- Peel eggplant, cutting eggplant into 1-inch pieces.
- Combine sausage, eggplant, tomatoes in puree, mushrooms, tomato paste, onion, wine, and garlic in a 3 1/2 to 4 quart slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on Low for 7 to 8 hours or on High for 3–1/2 to 4 hours.
- Stir in herbs and olives. If desired, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Prepare pasta as directed on package approximately 20 minutes before you are ready to serve!
Serve eggplant mixture over hot cooked pasta. Sprinkle with cheese and, if desired, pine nuts.
Optional: To make vegetarian omit the sausage!