Cooking Time:4-5 hours on Low
Ingredients2 T. olive oil
2 lbs. chicken breast, boneless, cut into small pieces
5 - 14.5 oz. chicken broth, canned (I used reduced sodium)
8 c. Swiss chard, coarsely chopped (can also use spinach or kale)
2 large carrots, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium lemon, halved, thinly sliced
1/4 c. lemon juice
4 tsp. grated lemon peel
1/2 p pepper
4 c. brown rice, cooked (can also substitute with cooked egg noodles)
Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup was adapted from a Taste of Home recipe that was shared by a friend. I love lemon chicken, so I made it, but also believe it would be good with egg noodles, that is why I have the suggestion for the noodles instead of the rice. But brown rice is YUMMY! Gluten-Free with the Brown Rice too!
- Heat a large skillet with 1 T. olive oil over medium heat.
- Brown half the chicken, by stirring frequently.
- Place the chicken in a 6 quart slow cooker, and repeat with the rest of the oil adding the remaining chicken until brown, and transferring it also the the slow cooker.
- Combine the vegetables, broth, lemon slices, juice, peel and pepper into the chicken in the crock.
- Cover. Cooker on Low for 4–5 hours on Low.
- Prepare rice or noodles if you choose to use as directed and stir in the crock.
- Cover and continue to cook until all is heated through.